Tuesday, February 15, 2011

5 days until Guatemala

Hello Friends and Family,
I am leaving for Quetzaltenango, Guatemala within the week! I will be in Guatemala for four and a half months living with a host family, learning Spanish, and volunteering. For the first month, I will be taking Social Work Spanish Immersion classes at nonprofit that provides language classes and ways to get involved in community development in surrounding rural areas. (Here’s a link to their website http://www.pop-wuj.org/index.html ).  I am eager to better understand Guate life, the country’s complex history and culture, and what my role will be in contributing to their needs.  

I will have internet access during my time in Guatemala, so I should be able to update my blog regularly. For now, I am in Naples, FL packing and brushing up on my Spanish. A special thanks to those who made it possible for me to go to Guatemala through their financial contributions. You rock!

Adios,
Carrie Ray

(This is me in Quito, Ecuador from 2009. I am sure there will be more fun cultural encounters to come!)

2 comments:

  1. Missing you already!
    We are so excited for you, Sweetheart. Know that we lo♥e you and will pray that you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all the news. We are ready for some pics and some Skype Time now.
    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete