Saturday, April 30, 2011

Scrabble (Es-crab-lay)

Hola familia y amigos,
I am writing from a new place. An opportunity arose for me to move in with a different host family and I decided to go for it. It is a great change because this family is very warm and welcoming. Getting to know them has been the highlight of the week. Last night we played Scrabble (in Spanish) and Rummikube together. Also the location is better because now it is just a short walk to Pop Wuj….as well as four ice cream shops on my block!
Guarderia
 I spent every day this week at the Guarderia. On Monday, I taught another yoga class to the older kids. I made this class a bit harder with different poses. They are already asking when our next class will be, so I think that’s a good sign. Also, in honor of Earth Day last Friday, I led an environmental chat. We talked about some of the environmental issues in Guatemala such as deforestation and water pollution and some of the ways we can reduce our environmental impact such as “The Three R’s” (Reducir, Reusar, y Reciclar). As a follow up, we did a campus clean up the next day all around the Guarderia separating out the recyclable materials to take to the recycling center in town. Carmen, Amy, and I are working on finding a way to make recycling a long term habit at the Guarderia. The week ended with a puzzle-making frenzy on Friday. Amy discovered long ago that the kids have an affinity for puzzles, or in Spanish rompecabezas (which translates to head-breakers). A couple puzzle donation drives later, the Guarderia is fully-stocked with loads of puzzles ranging from 10 pieces to 500 pieces. The kids can’t get enough of them. I have enjoyed getting to know the kids and the ladies that work at the Guarderia of the past few months. I have gotten to know one of the older girls, Yolanda, especially well. She is studying to be a bilingual secretary and is very mature and driven in her studies. The other day, just for fun, she wanted to learn the names of all of the countries in the world in Spanish and in English. It was a learning experience for both of us!
Other fun happenings this week including a couple yoga classes at the Yoga House downtown, a 3-on-3 soccer game with some Pop Wuj students, and a big “breakfast for dinner” feast at Pop Wuj.
Adios,
Carrie
yes that's a pig. Had to take a picture.

Preparing our feast at Pop Wuj

Some of my favorite people

1 comment:

  1. That's my girl. You are a teacher and you are helping them learn about how to better the environment! Glad your new digs are working out. You are going to turn into a real GAME player! Say hello to your new family. I can't wait to hear about them!!!!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete