Saturday, April 2, 2011

Super Chivos

Hola a todos,
Espero que esten bien. I just realized I completely missed April Fool’s day. Hope nobody got fooled too badly!
This week I spent some time at the Guarderia, traveled to the village of Buena Vista with the mobile clinic, prepared the curriculum for my first workshop with the kids next week, went on a shopping spree for stove materials, and managed to make it to a Super Chivo soccer game.

Guarderia
I took two groups of volunteers/students out to the Guarderia to hang out with the chillens, play soccer (always a big hit), help with homework, draw, etc. Also, Carmen, the social worker, and I led the monthly Mothers meeting on Friday which included a kids’ clothing sale. Whenever Pop Wuj gets a healthy dose of clothing donations from students and volunteer groups, we take them to communities that have women support groups and have a “venta” (sale). All of the money earned goes towards the womens group. At first, I was confused why we would sell things that are meant to be donated, but then I learned that when things are given out for free here the service/product are often considered to be rubbish. It is very common for NGOs and cooperatives here to charge a “symbolic fee” for the services they provide.  For example, Guatemalans are charged 20Q for a doctor consultation and any medications at Pop Wuj’s clinic. That’s about $2.50. When we distributed water filters a few weeks ago, the families were charged 10Q ($1.30).  The fees do not actually cover the cost but encourages Guatemalans to take ownership in their health and well-being.

Stoves
On Wednesday, Carmen, Caleb (another social work volunteer), and I went out to the vibrant and lush village of Buena Vista. We met with a few different families to see what kind of need there was in this community for safe stoves. Buena Vista has no home addresses or street names and the narrow dirt pathways we took to get to different homes were being taken over by beautiful tropical plants. I met many cows, goats, and turkeys along the way. I am going back a couple more times next week to meet with more families. In addition to the Buena Vista trip, I went around town in a pick-up on to get bricks, cement, clay, etc. for the next couple of stoves. I was grateful to have Carmen there to do the haggling of all the prices. I would have been a helpless gringa being overcharged due to my naiveté.  
Xela fun
This week I started taking little Shakira for walks around Xela. She is a quick learner and already knows how to fetch. I’m impressed. I also took a couple yoga classes and played a rousing game of soccer with some students from Pop Wuj and some Guatemalans. Friday night, I headed to the city’s soccer stadium to support the Xela’s team, the Super Chivos (Super Goats..haha!). We cheered, learned malas palabras (bad words) to yell at the other team, ate questionable street food, kept a safe distance from the diehard fans who were throwing fireworks at each other, and walked away satisfied with yet another win for the Super Chivos.  Hasta la proxima!
Adios,
Carrie
PS If anyone knows of any quick and easy art activities or outdoor games for kids, I am all ears! You can email me at carrieray5@gmail.com.  The art activities would need to require very few supplies. Gracias.
Finger Painting

before things got messy...

2 comments:

  1. Love to hear about your GUATAlife. I'll be thinking about craft projects. What's age the group(s)?

    Skype?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question, exactly! Age group, please!
    BTW, I read EVERY word and love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete